This policy will be updated and reviewed at least annually, and we recommend that you check this page to ensure you are happy to continue using our website after any changes have been made. The most recent date of renewal will always be displayed at the bottom of this page.
NMC Recordings Limited is a record label with charitable status, dedicated to promoting the best contemporary classical music from across the British Isles. Our registered address is:
NMC Recordings Ltd
St Margaret’s House
21 Old Ford Road
London E2 9PL
We are a registered charity no 328052. We are a company limited by guarantee incorporated in England and Wales, no 231 4735.
All electronic communications from NMC will be made in accordance with the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 and will be updated in accordance with the relevant legislation as required.
We collect personal information that you provide when you contact us, interact with us, or use our website. This can include through the purchase of CDs and downloads online and over the phone, when you sign up to receive e-newsletters from us via our mailing list, or when you decide to make a donation on our website or through the post. We collect small pieces of information called cookies when you are using this website, to help us ensure we are providing the best possible experience for users. Please see the section on ‘Cookies’ below for more details.
If you are aged 16 or under, you must have your parent or guardian’s permission before you provide us with your personal information. Unless you have their consent, you are not allowed to give us your information.
We collect personal information in a number of ways which include:
• When you use our online store on this website. This includes when you buy a recording on CD or in a downloadable format, download a free education resource, download a free album booklet or free promotional recording, or buy any other merchandise which we may sell through our online store such as posters or DVDs from time to time
• When you use our website to join the Friends scheme or make a donation
• When you use our website to sign up for a mailing list, complete a survey, enter a competition, or book tickets/attendance for an event
• When you call us by phone to buy recordings, make a donation, or enquire about forthcoming releases
• When you contact us by post, such as when you submit a Gift Aid form, return a donation form, return a contact form, or order recordings by mail order
The types of personal information we collect
We collect, and store on a secure database, personal information from you when we are required to do so, such as to fulfil an order you have made through our online store, and when you’ve opted to give it to us, such as to be kept informed about our work by email newsletters.
The following list of information is data we gather directly from you through this website, over the phone or by post, which is usually collected during the course of you making a purchase, giving a donation, signing up to our mailing list, or another transaction:
• your title, name, date of birth
• postal address and/or billing address
• email address and phone number
• your place of work
• your payment card details
• your IP address and information on what pages you accessed (see Cookies policy below)
• your current professional interests or activities which may be related to NMC’s work
We will also collect and hold details of any contact you have with us as a customer or supporter of NMC, which may contain details of:
• CD or download purchases;
• contact preferences;
• your age range;
• other online purchases, downloads or transactions from our online store;
• event registration, attendance, or ticket purchases;
• gifts and donation information, such as Standing Order bank details if applicable;
• Gift Aid status;
• details of correspondence sent to you and received from you by email, post, and over the phone;
• donor status and donation assessment information;
• employment information and professional activities;
• where relevant, selected media coverage concerning you, such as CD reviews or interviews (if you are an artist who features on one of our releases);
• where relevant, information accessed through social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (only where you have given permission for this to happen);
• any other information provided by yourself, at the request of NMC.
Depending on your relationship with NMC, and the preferences you have indicated to us, the data we hold may be used by us for a number of purposes.
In general, for our customer relationships we rely on contractual necessity and legitimate interests as the legal basis for processing your personal data. We do not rely on consent as a legal basis for customer relationships, other than when we are obliged to do so in accordance with e-communications legislation (PECR 2003). For our relationships with donors and funders, we generally rely on consent and will use your most recent contact preferences to ensure we contact you only when you have asked us to, and in the ways you have told us to do so. Occasionally, we may use legitimate interests to contact you by post with relevant information, unless you have told us not to.
The purposes for which your personal data may be used includes the following:
• To fulfil a contract we have made with you, such as completing an order from our online store, including sending payment receipts and order updates.
• To send you promotional, marketing or fundraising information by electronic means, when you have told us you wish to receive these by opting in to our mailing list or where we have an existing customer relationship with you and we have a legitimate interest. These types of communications can include:
- Informing you of other products, services or events related to NMC’s work, such as forthcoming album releases, offers on recordings from our back catalogue, upcoming concerts and events related to our releases, or special offers.
- News and updates about NMC and our charitable values, such as via our monthly e-newsletter, and specific marketing or supporter e-newsletters.
- Information on our fundraising activity, including annual requests to consider giving financial support to NMC, such as through the Friends scheme or a specific project appeal, or to ask you to consider supporting us in other ways.
- Invitations to special events, such as album launches, composer talks, and donor cultivation events, linked to our work.
- Other relevant third-party communications, such as on releases by other labels which are distributed by NMC, based upon your past and on-going relationship with NMC and where we have your permission to do so.
- Surveys about our releases, competitions, and opportunities to be involved in market research related to NMC
• Additional research, to help us understand our customers, Friends, donors and potential donors, including gathering information from publicly available resources to give an insight into your philanthropic interests and ability to support NMC. See How we analyse your data for further information.
• Tools may be used to monitor the effectiveness of our communications with you, including email tracking, which records when an e-newsletter from us is opened and/or how many links are clicked within the message. The data from this tracking is generally used in an anonymised form through our database eTapestry.
• You can opt out of all our communications at any point simply by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ button on the bottom of any email which we send to you. Alternatively, you can update your contact preferences for each type of mailing you receive by clicking the link which appears alongside ‘unsubscribe’ or online here https://www.nmcrec.co.uk/about/updating-your-contact-preferences. You may also make this request by contacting us directly by either by emailing email@example.com or calling 020 3022 5888.
There are some essential donation and transaction communications that we are required to send to you, regardless of your contact preferences. This would include Standing Order and Direct Debit payment confirmations, donation receipts and thank you letters, up to two renewal reminders, Gift Aid confirmation letters, and querying any bounced payments. If you have told us you do not wish to be contacted, these are the only communications we will have with you. You will not receive our newsletters or event invitations unless you update your communication preferences.
We may use anonymised purchase information of recordings from our online store to carry out statistical analysis of our sales every few months, so we can produce sales reports, and to ensure stock levels are accurately maintained.
We may segment the information we hold about you in our database based on your previous purchase history or interactions with NMC’s work. These segmentations are carried out using personal data collected at the point of sale, as well as how engaged with us you have previously been, and any indicators of future engagement. Analysis of this helps us understand our customers, donors and potential donors to ensure we are efficient, and that only relevant communications are sent to you. We will not send you any communications which you have opted out of.
We may very occasionally carry out analysis and further research on a small number of our customers and donors. This may include the appointment of an external party to undertake additional research based on information we currently hold, as well as from publicly available information such as the Charity Commission and Companies House, to better understand how we can evolve our future relationship with you. Any such arrangements will be subject to a formal contracted agreement between NMC and that external partner, and will protect the security of your data.
By making a donation or purchasing a recording from our online store, our legitimate interest allows NMC to analyse your personal data in the above ways. You can opt-out of your data being used for further analysis, with the aims of targeting communications with you appropriately, at any time, simply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us on 020 3022 5888.
Your data will never be sold to any third party or external organisation for any purpose and will only be shared or passed to a third party on a temporary basis in order to provide an essential service (see examples below). Any third party with whom data has been shared in this way will be contractually required to ensure your data is secure, and will not be retained once that service has been fulfilled. Whilst NMC is responsible for the safety of your data, we are not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other websites, even if accessed using links through our website or online store. It is recommended that you check the policy of each external website you visit and contact them directly if you have any concerns or questions.
Examples of such purposes and the companies we work with include:
• Go Cardless, for the processing and storage of Direct Debit information for regular donations set up and made through our website
• eTapestry sign-up forms, for signing up to our mailing list or providing NMC with feedback
• Blackbaud Payment and Merchant Services, for the processing of credit and debit card information for one-off and recurring donations
• Send Owl, for transaction information such as item bought and address, made during the process of making purchases from our online store.
• Stripe and PayPal, for the processing of credit and debit card information for purchases made through our online store.
• Google and Facebook, in order to identify similar customers to our audience, or to provide personalised advertising through third party websites. The data which is shared with these advertisers, through visiting our website, is anonymised to protect your personal information.
We have robust security measures in place to protect the personal information that we have under our control, and to protect it from unauthorised access or improper use. Data you share with us through our website is encrypted, and stored on secure databases. We do not store any payment information ourselves. All NMC employees who have access to, and are associated with the processing of data, are legally obliged to respect the confidentiality of our customers’ and donors’ personal information.
For companies based in the USA, NMC will only transfer data through or to organisations who have signed up to the EU Privacy Shield. More information about this initiative and how it protects your data can be found via their website: www.privacyshield.gov.
We will retain your personal information on our database only for as long as is reasonably necessary in order to carry out the purposes set out in this privacy notice, and to fulfil our legal obligations. We will not keep more information than we need. The retention period will vary according to the purpose we are holding your information for, however in general we will store your data for up to five years from the date of your last interaction with us e.g. the last time you purchased a CD, requested information from us, made a donation, or attended an event. After five years, we will remove all personal data we hold on you, except for the bare minimum we need to keep such as your name and donation history. Please contact us using the contact details at the bottom of this notice should you wish to find out more about how long we will keep your information.
If you ask us to stop sending direct marketing communications to you, we will only keep the minimum amount of information required to ensure we adhere with such requests, such as your name. If you exercise your right to be forgotten, we will ensure that your personal information is removed from our database, except where our legal obligations require us to retain it (such as with Gift Aid claims). In these instances, we will retain the minimum information necessary, and for the legally required length of time only.
You can ask us at any time if we are keeping any personal information about you and you can also request to receive a copy of that data – this is called a Subject Access Request.
To make a Subject Access Request you will need to provide adequate proof of identity such as a copy of your passport, birth certificate or driving licence before your request can be processed.
There may also be a fee of up to £10, depending on the volume of work required. Please try to be as clear as possible about the information you are seeking, so we are able to process your request as quickly as possible.
Once we have received your Subject Access Request, the agreed fee, and proof of identity, you will receive a response from us within 28 days and you will be able to get electronic copies of any information we hold on you. However, exemptions to disclosure may apply in some circumstances, and are explained in further detail by the Information Commissioners Office website: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/exemptions/#subject-access.
Subject Access Requests should be sent to:
St Margaret’s House
21 Old Ford Road
London E2 9PL
At any time, you may request that we delete or correct your personal information. If you wish to correct any information on you held by NMC, simply contact us using the details above.
- Google Analytics: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage
- Facebook Pixel: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-pixel/pixel-with-ads/conversion-tracking
- Send Owl: https://www.sendowl.com/privacy
- eTapestry: https://www.blackbaud.com/privacy-policy.aspx
- Twitter: https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-cookies
- AddThis and BlueKai: http://www.addthis.com/privacy/privacy-policy
• by email to email@example.com
• by calling 020 3022 5888
• or writing to us at NMC Recordings, St Margaret’s House, 21 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 9PL.