hcmf// is an annual, international festival of contemporary and new music, over 10 days consisting of approximately 50 events, including concerts, music-theatre, dance, multi-media, talks and film, with a related Learning and Participation programme devised and implemented to reflect the artistic programme and respond to regional need.
hcmf// aims to provide life-changing and unique artistic experiences to as wide an audience as possible; to be an international platform for new music and related contemporary art forms in Britain; to enthuse existing audiences and draw in new ones through adventurous programming and informed, stylish presentation and to be an active cultural partner within the region.
- 30 years of consistent success & world-wide recognition
- 10 packed days in November presenting up to 7 events per day
- In 2007, the BBC Radio 3's Hear and Now devoted all of its December programming to the Festival (approx 90,000 radio audience)
- Presents performances of live cutting edge music within a diversity of events and experiences
- Commissions and programmes around 10 works each year
- Has presented 381 world premieres and 813 UK premieres with more planned for the future
- Provides an opportunity for second performances of works
- Presents an opportunity for international performers to be heard in the UK
- Is a platform for numerous debut artists
- Has been an employer for lots of composers and performers in the early stages of their careers
- Has involved over 5,745 individuals in 50 different projects since 1991 as part of its education programme
- Generates substantial media & press coverage - regional, national and international
- Hosted BBC2 Culture Show in 2004 (1.3 million TV audience, 5 million reach)