- 01. Duettino (2008) for violin and cello4'53"
- 02. Figment IV (2007) for viola3'45"
- 03. Mnemosyne (2011) for violin 4'37"
- 04. String Trio (2011)6'54"
- 05. Rigmarole (2011) for bass clarinet and cello3'20"
- 06. Bariolage (1992) for harp5'19"
- 07. Trije Glasbeniki (2011) for flute, bass clarinet and harp3'42"
- 08. Double Trio (2011)10'10"
- 09. Retracing (2002) for bassoon1'59"
- 10. Figment V (2009) for marimba3'07"
- 11. Hiyoku (2001)) for 2 clarinets5'38"
- 12. A Sunbeam's Architecture: I4'18"
- 13. A Sunbeam's Architecture: II3'28"
- 14. A Sunbeam's Architecture: III1'21"
- 15. A Sunbeam's Architecture: IV0'53"
- 16. A Sunbeam's Architecture: V1'22"
- 17. A Sunbeam's Architecture: VI5'36"
- 18. 'Happy Birthday, Elliott'1'45"
- 19. On Carter: Tributes to Elliott Carter11'57"
Live concert DVD of Elliott Carter's 103rd birthday concert, 8 December 2011
Concert available as download here
• Features 4 world premieres (A Sunbeam’s Architecture, String Trio, Mnemosyné, Rigmarole) - two of which were specially written for this concert.
• Features filmed tributes from leading British composers George Benjamin, Sir Harrison Birtwistle, Alexander Goehr, Oliver Knussen and Colin Matthews
• 24-page booklet with a personal tribute to Elliott from Colin Matthews, Fred Sherry (Artistic Director) and extensive programme notes and many rare photographs from Carter archive.
• The oldest work on this DVD was written when Carter was 83, and all the others post-date his 90th birthday
Rolf Schulte violin - Fred Sherry cello
Richard O’Neill viola - Virgil Blackwell bass clarinet
Bridget Kibbey harp - Marie Tachouet flute/ piccolo
Mike Truesdell percussion - Jim Pugh trombone
Peter Evans trumpet - Stephen Gosling piano
Stephen Taylor oboe - Peter Kolkay bassoon
Charles Neidich clarinet - Ayako Oshima clarinet
Nicholas Phan tenor
Ryan McAdams conductor
Fred Sherry Artistic Director
This DVD features 4 world premieres - String Trio, Mnemosyné, Rigmarole and the e.e.cummimgs song cycle A Sunbeam’s Architecture - two of which were specially written for this concert. It also includes a short film of tributes to Carter and his music from leading British composers.
The accompanying booklet features memoirs of the concert from Artistic Director Fred Sherry, and of Elliott from Colin Matthews plus extensive programme notes and rare photographs from Carter archive.
Compatible with DVD players from any region
International Record Review - Outstanding Recording
BBC Music Magazine - Choice of the Month
''What an amazing valedictory event for the indefatigable centenarian. This thoughtfully produced DVD of the event also includes extras – footage of a post-tonal rendition of “Happy Birthday to You” with Carter, beaming, looking on; liner notes by John Link, Fred Sherry, and Colin Matthews; and a segment “On Carter,” with filmed tributes by UK composers' Signal to Noise
'So many exemplary performances of this fundamentally challenging music ... tribute must be paid to the imperturbable cello playing of Fred Sherry and the eloquence of Rolf Schulte's violin, not only in his solo Mnemosyne but as chief line-carrier in the fizzing Double Trio' BBC Music Magazine
'It was the composer's wish that this concert be released by NMC and the absence of any British music is compensated for by the 12 minutes tributes (from George Benjamin, Harrison Birtwistle, Alexander Goehr, Oliver Knussen and Matthews himself) [...] as entertaining and affectionate a sequence of reminiscences as one could wish. A worthwhile conspectus and an event of first-rate music-making.' International Record Review
‘What a treat it is to see Carter fêted in such a creative way and to see the composer’s pleasure in the performances. […] an amazing testament to Carter’s longevity and joie de vivre.’ The Whole Note
‘The performances by a cast of Carter devotees are flawless.’ Gramophone
Supported by The Amphion Foundation, Inc.
This concert was made possible by the generous support of the following foundations and individuals:
Unbroken Chain Foundation
Peter Jay Sharp Foundation
Boosey & Hawkes
Ann and Harry Santen
Richard and Dee Wilson
Peggy and Ralph Brown
Paula S. Lawrence
All music by Elliott Carter
Published by Boosey & Hawkes
Artistic Director: Fred Sherry | Concert Producers: Carol Archer, Fred Sherry | Concert Executive Producer: Virgil Blackwell
Concert (Tracks 1 – 18):
DVD Creative Direction: Karen McLaughlin | DVD Producers: Fred Sherry, Carol Archer | DVD Editor: Jeffrey McLaughlin | DVD Graphics: Gregory MacDonald
On Carter (Track 19):
Producer & Editor: Tommy Pearson | Lighting Cameramen: Simon Douglas, Jason Hall
Special Thanks To: Phil Lesh, Zizi Mueller and Boosey & Hawkes, John Link, Ara Guzelimian, Joanna Trebelhorn and The Juilliard School , Marimba One, Musical Explorations Society, Inc.
This concert was videotaped on December 8, 2011 at the 92nd Street Y, New York, NY • www.92Y.org
DVD Executive Producer: The Amphion Foundation, Inc.
Executive Producer for NMC: Colin Matthews
Cover photo (still from DVD): Gregory Macdonald
Tracks 1-18 (P) 2013 The Amphion Foundation, Inc
Track 19 (P) 2013 NMC Recordings Ltd
© 2013 NMC Recordings Ltd