- 01. Tauromaquia12'18"
- 02. a book of colours: Duendecitos1'59"
- 03. a book of colours: Figurine3'53"
- 04. a book of colours: A shapeless flame3'28"
- 05. a book of colours: Some distant chimes4'42"
- 06. a book of colours: The thing that makes ashes7'22"
- 07. Black Lanterns8'10"
- 08. Klop's Last Bite: Enter Klop0'25"
- 09. Klop's Last Bite: Klop bides his time1'06"
- 10. Klop's Last Bite: Klop waits and waits1'00"
- 11. Klop's Last Bite: Klop falls asleep and dreams of warm blood1'24"
- 12. Klop's Last Bite: The mad flea0'14"
- 13. Klop's Last Bite: Klop awakes to an attack1'17"
- 14. Klop's Last Bite: Klop takes a bite1'00"
- 15. Klop's Last Bite: Klop victorious 0'39"
- 16. Klop's Last Bite: Klop has delusions of grandeur1'07"
- 17. Klop's Last Bite: The mad flea exacts revenge0'38"
- 18. Klop's Last Bite: Klop's dead1'32"
- 19. Nigredo16'18"
A survey of Simon Holt's piano music recorded by Rolf Hind - for whom Nigredo was composed - dedicated to Holt's publisher (and NMC's former chairman) Bill Colleran; it covers the Goya-inspired Tauromaquia, Black Lanterns, title work a book of colours, and new series Klop's Last Bite - described by the composer as "an insect snuff-movie".
Additionally a book of shadow, which could not be included on the CD for reasons of space, can be downloaded from NMC's webshop .
GRAMOPHONE RECOMMENDATION FOR 2009
MUSIC WEB 'CD OF THE MONTH'
"Rolf Hind is the perfect interpreter throughout and recording is of demonstration quality." Gramophone
"...here may be the place to pay tribute to Hind's playing, where a remarkable immediacy goes along with total command. In a programme of great variety lasting over an hour, Hind moves as an explorer in a forest he has made his own." Paul Griffiths
This recording was supported by the RVW Trust, the Ida Carroll Trust and Chester Music.
Simon Holt’s music is published by Chester Music.
This disc was recorded on 27-28 July 2008 at Potton Hall, Suffolk.
Engineer & Producer: DAVID LEFEBER
Digital Editing: DAVID LEFEBER
Executive Producer: COLIN MATTHEWS
Cover image: RICHARD LONG Mud Hand Circle: River Avon Mud Circle
Inlay image: RICHARD LONG Mud Hand Circle: Untitled
Images © Richard Long. Courtesy: The artist and Haunch of Venison
Design: FRANCOIS HALL
(p) 2009 NMC Recordings Ltd.