- 01. Cantiga: I have almost forgotten6'01"
- 02. Cantiga: High on the border with Castile5'05"
- 03. Cantiga: When the snow beat at the fretted windows6'04"
- 04. Cantiga: We are together now6'32"
- 05. September Music10'032"
- 06. Introit6'08"
- 07. Symphony No.4: I - Light and flowing6'19"
- 08. Symphony No.4: II - Hard driving and rhythmic3'58"
- 09. Symphony No.4: III - Andante con moto5'42"
- 10. Symphony No.4: IV - Fast tango, slightly manic3'06"
- 11. Symphony No.4: V - Adagio - Allegro vivace8'14"
Cantiga sets the tragic, bloodthirsty story of the 14th-century Spanish noblewoman Inês de Castro; Matthews Symphony No.4 subverts its classical model with plainsong and a tango.
These recordings were originally released on Unicorn-Kanchana in 1993.
'Beautiful, individual things in all four pieces... Matthews is at his best when he's most unashamedly Romantic.'
BBC Music Magazine
Cantiga / Introit / September Music :
Recording date: 16-18 November 1991
Recording venue: Winter Gardens, Bournemouth
Engineer: Bob Auger
Producer: Jillian White
Symphony No 4
Recording date: September 1993
Recording venue: Great Hall, Nottingham University
Engineer: Mike Hatch
Producer: John West
Remastering: Marian Tryggvason
Cover image: Photo: Paul Trevor
Cantiga / Introit / September Music (P) 1992 Unicorn-Kanchana Records
Symphony No 4 (P) 1994 Lambourne Productions