- 01. Oliver Knussen: Turba6'14"
- 02. Diana Burrell: Songs for Harvey2'26"
- 03. Roger Redgate: ruins true refuge3'42"
- 04. Robert Keeley: Refacings7'48"
- 05. Nicholas Maw: The Old King's Lament7'29"
- 06. Christopher Fox: Generic Compositions 5 & 86'46"
- 07. Michael Finnissy: Sepevi8'046"
- 08. Bernard Rands: Memo 17'13"
- 09. James Dillon: A roaring flame11'55"
A disc showcasing new works for double bass, solo and with voice or cello: from the title work, Dillon's setting of Gaelic poetry for soprano & bass, and Maw's characterful Old King's Lament, to Chris Fox's extraordinary combination of frenetic bass and other-worldly cello.
"[In James Dillon's 'A Roaring Flame'] the Gaelic and Provencal texts and sinuous vocal line give the music a haunting beauty, which is realised with superb concentration by both performers."
BBC Music Magazine 2004
Recording date: 9-11 December 2002
Recording venue: St John's Church, Loughton, Essex
Engineer & Producer: David Lefeber
Editing & mastering: Davis Lefeber
Cover image: Francois Hall
(P) 2004 NMC Recordings Ltd