- 01. Open the Gate2'05"
- 02. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 11'11"
- 03. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 22'51"
- 04. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 32'48"
- 05. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 42'16"
- 06. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 52'57"
- 07. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 62'14"
- 08. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 71'33"
- 09. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 81'47"
- 10. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 91'44"
- 11. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 101'40"
- 12. A Glimpse of Sion's Glory - 111'50"
- 13. The Missouri Harmony16'48"
- 14. Rendered Account5'09"
- 15. American Choruses: 1 - Walt Whitman3'11"
- 16. American Choruses: 2 - Song4'55"
- 17. American Choruses: 3 - America4'26"
- 18. American Choruses: 4 - Transcription21'14"
Exciting new vocal ensemble EXAUDI's second recording for NMC features choral works by Christopher Fox with the common theme of Puritanism, Liberty and dissent. American Choruses is one of the composer’s earliest works, exploring his relationship to an American tradition which includes Ives, Cage and the poetry of Walt Whitman. In A Glimpse of Sion’s Glory, conflicting lines voice the idealisms of protestors including the histoical Levellers' movement and John Milton; and the monolithic Missouri Harmony for solo organ evokes the meditative aspect of Shaker worship. Rendered Account, setting Ian Duhig’s lively political verse on the nature of walls and boundaries, and Open the Gate, with its basis of plainsong, complete the disc.
"Christopher Fox is 50 this year, and it is hard to think of a better birthday present than this marvellous disc... Exaudi traverse the demands of this music with ease. Recommended."
Performance *****/ Sound ****
BBC Music Magazine 2005
Recording date: 30 June - 1 July 2005
Engineer: Andrew Post
Producers: Aaron Cassidy, Christopher Fox
Editing & mastering: Andrew Post
Cover image: From 'The Declaration and Standard of the Levellers, April 23 1649' (Bridgeman Art LIbrary)
(P) 2005 NMC Recordings Ltd