The Schubert Ensemble has established itself over 28 years as one of the world’s leading exponents of music for piano and strings. Regularly giving over 50 concerts a year, the Ensemble has performed in over 40 different countries. In 1998 the Ensemble’s contribution to British musical life was recognized by the Royal Philharmonic Society when it presented the group with the Best Chamber Ensemble Award, for which it was shortlisted again in 2010.
- 01. Piano Concerto: I8'06"
- 02. Piano Concerto: II The Sweet Primeroses4'31"
- 03. Piano Concerto: III3'17"
- 04. Music for 247 Strings8'56"
- 05. Piano Trio - I4'57"
- 06. Piano Trio - II4'52"
- 07. Piano Trio - III6'14"
- 08. Arise! Arise! You slumbering sleepers2'29"
- 09. Piano Quartet: I9'46"
- 10. Piano Quartet: II Blanche comme la neige8'15"
- 01. Distance & Enchantment8'40"
- 02. The Bagpiper's String Trio: Salute2'31"
- 03. The Bagpiper's String Trio: Nocturne1'24"
- 04. The Bagpiper's String Trio: Lament, over the sea2'56"
- 05. The Art of Touching the Keyboard9'55"
- 06. I Broke off a Golden Branch: I - Calm9'21"
- 07. I Broke off a Golden Branch: II5'26"
- 08. Ardnamurchan Point8'28"
- 09. El Rey de Francia1'38"
- 10. The King of France7'31"
Judith Weir's own choice of her chamber music featuring piano explore Weir's fascination with folk music: the sparkling Piano Concerto explores her Scottish roots.
Disc 1 was recorded for NMC in 2002; Disc 2 was originally released on Collins Classics.
William Howard, piano
The Schubert Ensemble
"Small-scale and elusive... but they are anything but diminutive in their emotional power… she has the ability to make the most mundane of musical material seem surprising."
The Guardian Classical CD of the Week 2003
Recording date: 13, 14, 19 November 2002
Recording venue: Champs Hill, West Sussex
Engineer/ Producer: David Lefeber
Recording date: 15-16 February and 17 and 23 March 1990
Recording venue: All Saints Church, East Finchley, London
Engineer: Mike Clements
Producer: Andrew Keener
Editing & mastering: David Lefeber
Cover image: Photo: Suzanne Jansen
Disc 1: (P) 2003 NMC Recordings Ltd
Disc 2: (P) 1995 Lambourne Productions Ltd