- 01. Fantasy Sonata for piano: Allegro8'11"
- 02. Fantasy Sonata for piano: Andante tranquillo4'28"
- 03. Fantasy Sonata for piano: Presto3'53"
- 04. Fantasy Sonata for piano: Rondo giocoso con moto4'37"
- 05. Concerto for Double String Orchestra: Allegro con brio5'46"
- 06. Concerto for Double String Orchestra: Adagio cantabile7'50"
- 07. Concerto for Double String Orchestra: Allegro molto7'39"
- 08. String Quartet No.2 in F sharp: Allegro grazioso6'23"
- 09. String Quartet No.2 in F sharp: Andante5'13"
- 10. String Quartet No.2 in F sharp: Presto2'57"
- 11. String Quartet No.2 in F sharp: Allegro appassionato5'47"
- 12. Tallis: Spem in alium12'02"
To mark the centenary of Tippett's birth in 2005, this disc presents for the first time on CD three premiere recordings of his music from the 1940s: the Concerto for Double String Orchestra (recorded 1943) conducted by Walter Goehr; the Fantasy Sonata for Piano, performed in 1941 by Phyllis Sellick; and the String Quartet No.2, recorded in 1947 by the Zorian Quartet. Also included is the first recording of Tallis's 40-part motet Spem in alium, recorded in 1948 with Tippett himself conducting the choir of Morley College, London.
"The anthology of premiere recordings ... is truly historic. Walter Goehr's 1943 recording of the Double Concerto - co-produced by Benjamin Britten while Tippett was in prison as a conscientious objector - seems to use only a small number of players, but has a gripping intensity. ... NMC's presentation of these discs is impeccable; Anthony Burton's notes add up to a substantial and fascinating essay on early Tippett recordings."
BBC Music Magazine
Fantasy Sonata: Recorded 1941 at Decca's London studios for Rimington, Van Wyck
Concerto for Double String Orchestra: Recorded in summer 1943 at Levy's Sound Studios, 73 New Bond Street, London W1
String Quartet No.2: recorded on 18-20 December 1947 by the Zorian Quartet
Spem in alium: recorded at HMV's Abbey Road studios on 7 October 1948
Tansfers: Martin Cotton
Remastering: Simon Haram
Cover image: Michael Tippett, July 1943, by Elliott & Fry (National Portrait Gallery)
(P) 2005 NMC Recordings Ltd