CoMa - Open Score
In 2015, NMC teamed up with CoMA and London Sinfonietta to record some of the many pieces written for amateur players and commissioned for the CoMA Open Score project. Works written for Open Score are flexibly-scored, which means that the parts are not instrument-specific. Instead, the composer provides the range for the instruments (for example, high, medium and low) and it is up to each ensemble to distribute the parts to suitable or available players.
Performed by professional musicians of the London Sinfonietta, this album features works by Michael Nyman, Tansy Davies, Donnacha Dennehy, Roxanna Panufnik and others.
CoMA (Contemporary Music for All) was founded in 1993 with the aim of enabling musicians of all abilities to participate in contemporary music. Through its ensembles and other activities it connects young and emerging composers with a growing body of musicians with the skills, knowledge and enthusiasm to give convincing performances of their works to an increasing and wide-ranging audience. CoMA has an ongoing commitment to commissioning new music that is adventurous and challenging, yet also technically accessible to non-professional players. CoMA has a unique music collection (Open Score) of over a thousand works containing some of the most exciting and rewarding new music being created today, and is an invaluable resource for professional, amateur and youth based ensembles.
Gregory Rose conductor
01. Philip Cashian - Mechanik
02. Donnacha Dennehy - A Fatal Optimist
03. Alexander Campkin - Counting my numberless fingers
04. Tansy Davies - Feather and Groove
05. Amoret Abis - When (ensemble with solo cello)
06. Philip Venables - Dutch Courage
07. Paul Burnell - 4 Minutes, 4 Daydreams
08. Naomi Pinnock - Four Humours
09. Roxanna Panufnik - CoM(A)Chord
10. Howard Jones - The Illusion of Progress
11. Michael Nyman - In C Interlude